Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy was an experience that I would very much liken to my first time seeing Rocky Horror Picture Show. I had heard so much about it for years and years, and had never experienced it myself, and then when you get to it you realize that all the hype is out of an old fan love and you’re not one who can see it like that at this point. A cult favorite as you will.

I was surprised by the length as well (basing this on the fact that I just read The Hitchhiker’s Guide and did not continue through the entire collection), in a rather pleasant turn events it was quite an easy read for me and I was able to blast through it in a couple night’s reading (as oppsed to American Gods which took me quite a long time. It was a welcome follow up.) I had already seen the movie, so that actually helped me get through the continuity of the strangely odd series of events. Though the book of course also helped things like the whale that plummeted to his death in the infinite probability drive make more sense, if that even makes any sense.

To me, and I of course in anyway don’t mean to offend a fan, but it seemed like a mishmash of ideas. A rather light hearted take on writing, as one who would just sit down for an afternoon and describe a world in free writing. Not to say that it wasn’t enjoyable, I of course love a casual book that isn’t going to bog me down in impossibly boring descriptions, but the randomness was a little…incredibly random.

The entire time I was reading it as well, I heard the entire thing in appropriate British accents, which made everything make sense even further, especially finding and latching on to the dry sarcasm. If I were to write something I would hope that I could be as casual as this, inserting one’s own jokes into the narration, as if having a casual conversation with the inevitable reader. Quite an amusing trip, if even though it’s a bit strange one.

No comments:

Post a Comment