Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Equal Rites

This is the second time I had attempted to read Equal Rites and thankfully this time I finished it! I nearly read most of it on a plane long ago, however upon returning without finishing it, I never got back to it. My first Discworld book was unfortunately not this one as well. Much long ago in middle school I had several friends who were very much into it, and I decided to check it out. I bought Maskerade (yes, it’s spelled that way!) from the book store as something to read on a ski vacation, and I was very much in love with the Phantom of the Opera and I was aware that it was a parody, so I picked that one. Little did I know that there is very much a correct order (heavily documented by fan websites) in which to follow to understand the characters. I remember being quite confused upon reading Maskerade, seeing as it just jumps right in with various references to previous storylines and I was completely missing what was going on. Several years later I read which one to read first, Equal Rites from the witch series, which I bought, but as I said never finished. And now I have finished it.

And I am happy to say it was delightful. I loved how, unlike most fantasy stories starring hero women, which like to put women who are at least of the age of a beautiful figure and sexuality, this book starred a child who is a cute brat. There is no sexuality to be found even though it is a book on sexism. This makes the gender morals of the story much clearer without mucking it up with romance or any nonsense that can be added to teenage fantasy.

Terry Pratchett also has that delightful way of writing in that British way, lots of dry sarcasm and light hearted narration. It makes me feel more comfortable and helps with making headway in the book. He is also quite clever sometimes in that you have to have a shred of intelligence at least to pick up on some of his jokes which I derive some satisfaction from.

I’m glad I was able to pick this book back up again after so long it has lay on the bathroom floor of my room near the laundry basket, it always made me feel guilty to see it. Now I’ve officially had the proper introduction to the witch series and hope to continue down the correct chronological path back down to Maskerade, once again!
Also as an aside, I love Good Omens and I could read it over and over. I’m so glad that this class let me read a book each of the two authors of Good Omens alone, as now I recognize their own unique styles of storytelling and writing outside of that collaboration.

No comments:

Post a Comment